Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Defending Marriage


In 1996, Congress passed the Defense of Marriage Act.[1]  Like so many Acts of Congress, this meritorious law is good for America.  It was intended to put a stop to all the perfidious attacks on marriage by deviate subversive forces, such as gays and transgender type people.  According to the law, it is illegal to marry your pet –or if you are a boy, another boy. Likewise, girls cannot marry other girls. You cannot even legally marry your horse under this law.

The evangelical bible thumpers are enthralled with this law, despite the dozens of Constitutional challenges still working their way through the courts.[2]

It’s a good thing that Congress got this law on the books because, from where I stand, marriage is defenseless. It is difficult for me to even conceptualize any good reason for any male human being in America to sign on to marriage.

My experience is actually quite typical for the average American male. The story goes like this.

You get married, sometimes just for visa purpose (my first marriage) and sometimes because you are besotted with some persistent hormonal imbalance (my second marriage).  In any case, more often than not, the whole thing ends badly.   The marriage breakup rate in America for first marriage is 41% to 50%; the rate after second marriage is from 60% to 67% and the rate in America for 3rd marriage are from 73% to 74%. [3]

In the case of my second marriage the predictable finale was particularly harsh.  I crashed into the finish line at terminal velocity.  First, I was rusticated to live on Cuckhold Creek. Maryland.


Location of Cuckhold Creek, Maryland
After savoring the piquant pleasures of Cuckholdistan for about a year, I was unceremoniously transported to divorce court.

There, a grotesquely obese female judge (3 times divorced herself) made it clear that I could submit to water boarding and agree to be drawn and quartered. My other option was to be hung upside down until everything in my pockets, my bank account and anywhere else would be shaken out for my ex-to-be to scrape up off the courthouse floor.

I chose the latter.

The end result: I lost my house, my kids, my bank account, my IRA, my stocks,  my china, my furniture, and 2/3 of my retirement (after 35 years of work). I was allowed to keep my clothing and shoes.

I made out better than some, however.

A neighbor of mine spent a good deal of time in the DC Jail due to his inability to make child support payments that far exceed his income. Apparently, the courts think that one is better able to pay child support from jail than from other employment.

It was at this moment after the issuance of my divorce decree that I learned of the exquisite pleasures of living in the back seat of a car. Sometimes I varied the venue by sleeping on my office couch. this was only slightly better. Aside from the deep and abiding friendships I developed with the office night cleaning personnel who regularly woke me at 3 am, it was not the best of times.  This period lasted for months and months.

Meanwhile, my excellent attorney collected her fees, paid both her kids college tuitions, deposited the remaining bundle in her Cayman Island account and retired from the practice of law to live on the bounty.

View From the Cayman Island Home of My Divorce Attorney

So, I ask, who the heck wants to get married?

Picture Courtesy of Wikipeida Commons

Kim Kardashian, that’s who.

The story of Kim’s marriage has been obsessing Americans for the past year. And with good reason. She made marriage look good for the first time in a long while.

Not only that, she made out like a bandit. She took in $18,000,000 in the divorce, after only 72 days of marriage.[4] That comes to $250,000 per day.

Kim is a person with no discernible skills or talent. She cannot act or write or basically do much of anything. She cannot even dance.  Yet she is a “reality star,” the biggest of them all.

How did she get so popular?

Her friend Paris Hilton tipped her off on how to do it. Kim got herself filmed having sex with Ray J and had the film leaked to the media.  She brought a few lawsuits to get the press involved, and from then on, fame and money were hers to take.

This pattern has now become one of the most popular ways to handle the difficult issue of marriage, as well as one of the most well-travelled paths to fame and fortune in America. In addition to Paris Hilton, some of the celebrities who have used the technique of releasing a sex tape and benefiting directly from royalties as well as indirectly from the publicity are:  Pamela Anderson, John Edwards, Tonya Harding, Jenna Lewis, Rob Lowe, and long list of others.[5]


[1] Pub.L. 104-199, 110 Stat. 2419, enacted September 21, 1996, 1 U.S.C. § 7 and 28 U.S.C. § 1738C.  Section 3 of the law states that “In determining the meaning of any Act of Congress, or of any ruling, regulation, or interpretation of the various administrative bureaus and agencies of the United States, the word 'marriage' means only a legal union between one man and one woman as husband and wife, and the word 'spouse' refers only to a person of the opposite sex who is a husband or a wife.
[2] The list of cases appears here.
[3] Statistics can be found here.
[4] See the whole story in Reuters News.
[5] The full list appears here.

No comments: